Thursday 10 March 2011

World Kidney Day 2011





Today marks World Kidney day, it is a joint initiative of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) and the International Federation of Kidney Foundations (IFKF).

The mission of World Kidney Day is to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys to our overall health and to reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.


Other Objectives are:


Raise awareness about our "amazing kidneys"

Highlight that diabetes and high blood pressure are key risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)

Encourage preventive behaviors

Educate all medical professionals about their key role in detecting and reducing the risk of CKD.

Stress the important role of local and national health authorities in controlling the CKD epidemic. On World Kidney Day all governments are encouraged to take action and invest in further kidney screening.

Check out the World Kidney Day website for more information, especially their 7 Golden Rules to reduce the risk of Kidney Disease.

Our trustee Holly went along to the Royal Liverpool Hospital to speak to staff and patients there and hand out leaflets etc. She provided her photo and a quote to show what a difference her transplant has made to her life for their display she says

"Life since my transplant is barely recognisable. I have my health back and I am enjoying the freedom from dialysis and the fact I can do normal everyday things that people take for granted. I have been to places I have never been before, experienced things I have never experienced before and met people that I would never have met previously. I have got my independence back and I am able to be me again! I work hard, play hard and I am loving every moment of my new life. I went to uni, now have a job, and live in my own apartment! None of this of course would have been possible without my donor and the generous gift they gave to me – the gift of life, for which I will be eternally grateful."



There were stands telling people about Organ Donation and how to sign up to the Organ Donor register, a stand about the local kidney support group, one to test your blood pressure and one held by our lovely friends over at the Donor Family Network.

Happy World Kidney Day from us all here at LLTGL x

No comments: